What size vehicle do we travel in?

Our Kimberley tours primarily operate in a 6 passenger Toyota Landcruiser. We also have a 16 seat 4WD Isuzu truck. This is a much smaller passenger number than the majority of other 4wd tour operators in the Kimberley, allowing for a more personalised experience. If you would like to guarantee that you travel in the Landcruiser, please advise us at time of booking so that we can quote the additional amount for this smaller vehicle.

Half day and one day tours can sometimes operate in our Toyota Coaster bus.

How much time is spent in the tour vehicle?

On extended touring legs we provide frequent stops, usually every two hours. 

Where do you pick up from?

Kimberley Spirit Tours offer a complimentary pick up from most accommodations in your departure location.

How much luggage can I bring?

Maximum weight per person is 15kg in a soft / squashable bag (no hard suitcases) plus a small day pack / backpack weighing 2kg per person (to carry your camera, water bottle, etc). 

Where can I store my excess luggage while on tour?

If you are travelling on an itinerary that departs from and returns to the same location, extra luggage can often be stored at your hotel lobby. Any excess luggage should be sent home or forwarded to your next destination via Australia Post, Greyhound or courier. Excess luggage above the stipulated weight limit won't be accepted by your tour guide and can hold up your tour departure. . 

Are there shower / toilet facilities every night?

See our 'accommodation' page for these details.

What meals are included?

On our accommodated tours, each accommodation has its own restaurant / café facilities. Meals are not included in the cost of the tour and most places accept credit card, however we do advise to bring some cash along too. Some of the wilderness lodges include breakfast and dinner - we will advise this in your tour itinerary.

Do you cater to special diets?

Please let us know upon booking if you have special meal requirements. You will also need to liaise with the driver during the tour and may be asked for help with your shopping. Vegetarian and other meals are usually modifications of standard meals on tour. As mentioned above, meals are not included in your tour costs. If you do have special dietary requests, these will be passed along to the wilderness lodges that do include your breakfast and dinner (if any).

Can I bring wine or beer?

Our vehicles carry an esky for the use of passengers for drinks. There are also limited opportunities to purchase alcohol along the way. Please note that some places in the Kimberley are 'Dry Communities' and no alcohol can be brought into these places.

Is water provided?

Please bring your own drink bottle. We carry water coolers on each tour which you can re-fill your bottles from. 

Are there shops along the way?

In the Kimberley wilderness there are a few roadhouses and small general stores where you can purchase snacks and basic necessities along the way. We do however recommend that you stock up on anything specific that you will require prior to commencing your tour. ATM's are also limited along the way.

Will I be able to charge my camera?

Selected accommodations, wilderness lodges and camp grounds have powerpoints for you to charge along the way. We recommend that you have your camera fully charged prior to departure. Alternatively, your tour guide carries an inverter (240V/50Hz) for clients’ convenience. We recommend that batteries are charged while the vehicles are running.

Due the remote areas that we be travel through, please ensure you have sufficient memory cards or space on memory cards to capture all of your precious memories. You can download your memory cards to CD/DVD at stores in Kununurra and Broome. 

Can I bring my laptop?

Due to harsh conditions that your technical equipment is exposed to, we recommend that you obtain comprehensive travel insurance for valuables. Whilst we take all care in locking the truck whilst on expeditions, we cannot take responsibility for theft or damage. Common concerns for laptops on remote wilderness tours are:
– Hard drive failure due the harsh impact from the road
– Heavy dust (penetrating motherboard, keyboards, CD drives, etc.)

Will I have mobile reception during my tour?

Mobile reception outside of the main townships of the Kimberley is extremely limited. Even in some townships, only certain carriers receive reception. Should a family member need to reach you in case of an emergency, please leave our office number with them. We carry a satellite phone for emergency calls only.

How fit do I need to be?

There is a reasonable level of activity - hikes over rocky terrain and swimming in waterfalls - so a reasonable level of fitness and agility is required to participate fully in the itinerary. That being said, some activities can be skipped if you would prefer not to participate. Talk to your guide about the possibility of sitting under a shady tree near the vehicle until the group returns.

If you are unsure at time of booking, talk to your guide on the phone and he will explain the various walks on your preferred tour.

Camping tours only: Do I need to help set up camp?

Yes. If you are camping, you will need to assist you guide in setting up camp and preparing/clearing meals

How do I book 'optional extra' tours?

Your guide will pass around a booking form on the first day of your tour to book optional activities. Please nominate which, if any, you wish to participate in and your guide will phone ahead and book the required number of seats. Payment must be made at time of booking. Most operators accept credit cards, sometimes with a fee.

What happens if my tour is cancelled due to weather conditions?

Kimberley Spirit Tours reserves the right to cancel or postpone any tour due to unforeseen circumstances such as road conditions, flooding, mechanical defect, cultural considerations or other reason.  In the event of tour cancellation by Kimberley Spirit Tours, an alternative tour or full refund for that tour will be offered. We do not provide compensation for airfare changes etc. Please check with your travel insurance provider regarding this.